On 21.07.2012 20:10, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> On 21.07.2012 18:19, Adrian Frith wrote:
>> Do we really have to include the full notice "Contains information from
>> OpenStreetMap, which is made available here under the Open Database
>> License (ODbL)" in the caption of every use of an OSM-derived map in a
>> Wikipedia article?
>
> I don't know if the legal requirement is for having the attribution
> directly visible but even if it is, it would be ok to have it in the
> bitmap rather than in the caption.

That's hardly practical. The images as included in the articles have
sizes like 220*128 pixels. There is not enough space to readably add the
required attribution without covering huge parts of the actual image
content.

If the ODbL doesn't unambiguously allow attribution on an image
description page like those used in wikis (including our own), I support
augmenting the attribution community guideline to that effect.

Tobias