On Sep 20, 2012, at 3:13 AM, Stephan Knauss <o...@stephans-server.de> wrote:

> On 20.09.2012 07:32, Mike Dupont wrote:
>> How can a contributor import any data and keep the data open to
>> license change? How can you keep any imports at all from people who
>> have not agreed to the CT directly?
> I agree with you in this point.
>
> If we import donated data, it must be stated that OpenStreetmap can publish
> the data under ODbL or any other license as specified in the CT.
>
> Could we create a special version of the Contributor Terms for data
> donations? So they could sign it. We could mail it to the OSMF to keep the
> records.

I think that could be useful, especially if hosted on osmfoundation.org and
with an attached list of who has signed. When trying to work with potential
data owners I usually struggle to point to a clear procedure on how data is
being passed on to OSM and I struggle with coming up with good examples of
other institutions who have opened data to OSM with an explicit permission. I'd
prefer something very short referring to the CT, essentially saying "X hereby
grants express permission to contribute X data under the CT to OSM."

> It is quite common to ask for contributor terms. For big imports a paper
> contract might be better than a "click here to accept" contract.
>
> See what others do, for example apache foundation:
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt
>
> Stephan

Alex Barth
http://twitter.com/lxbarth