FWIW, I agree with you that it should not be a case of copyright
infringement to obtain uncopyrightable facts from copyroghted sources.

Here's a blog post that even argues that it is OK to trace from Google's
satellite imagery: http://www.systemed.net/blog/legacy/100.html

But OSM does not operate this way. We aim to be whiter than white, and not
dabble in legal shades of gray. Even if *you* think that it is legally OK
to copy from someone, you shouldn't do it unless you have *permission* to
do so, or if a court decision says *exactly* that it is OK to copy stuff
for OSM.

On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Paulo Carvalho <paulo.r.m.carva...@gmail.com