I think the License Working Group would echo exactly what Jonathan says.

While it does not solve the problem of being able to map where there are no mappers, may I also seize the opportunity to promote John McKerrell's excellent OpenStreetView? It is a great under-exploited tool!

http://openstreetview.org/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Openstreetview

Single photo and bulk upload works well. I am slowly adding my collection of 40,000+ OSM survey photos in the hope that other mappers will be able squeeze out even more map detail. You can choose from a variety of licenses for the actual photo, but the photo metadata is CC0.

Mike