First a general comment: I would in general refer to the "Collective
Database" guideline as it is essentially an extension of the ideas first
formulated there and a bit more rigorous in its treatment of the subject
matter.

When we created the "Horizontal Layer" guideline, while not explicitly
said, the question was in the end the same as with the "Collective
Database" guideline: how much interaction can we allow between two
datasets and consider them independent, which in turn led to the
de-duplication ban.

Now what we didn't touch on (in both guidelines), mainly because it it
is slightly contrary to usual GIS business practice and wasn't a use
case on the table at that point in time, is the other way of avoiding
de-duplication: simply lumping everything together. Given that by the
very definition two such lumped together datasets are independent, there
is no reason to believe that they would not meet the ODbL definition of
a "Collective Database" (note IMHO de-duping would include deliberately
visually obscuring OSM data, but it seems that maps.me is squeaky clean
in that respect).

Simon