I don't advise anyone to try and get anti-aliased fonts working in
Linux (Ubuntu) by compiling python against Tk8.5, there's too much risk
of messing things up.  But I think I have it working now, so if you
really want to...

Note: I upgraded to 8.04 because my attempts to get this working on
7.10 had messed that install up so badly I decided to abandon it.

Install 8.04, and then, before you do anything else much:

- install (using synaptic) Tk8.5 and its dev package

- download Python 2.5.2 tar ball configure it like this:

  ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-unicode=ucs4
  make
  make install

The ucs4 bit is, I think, the magic bullet.  By default the tar ball
uses ucs2, but ubuntu uses ucs4, so all ubuntu's packages break, at
least those with compile C code (.so) components.  ucs2/ucs4 are
pythons approach to utf8/utf16 encodings.

- cd /usr/bin; rm python; ln -s python2.5 python

The tar ball install hardlinks these two files, and the ubuntu system
checks to make sure that /usr/bin/python is a *symbolic* link to
python2.5

Packages which ubuntu thinks depend on tk8.4, like PIL, ImageTk, tkcvs
etc., you will need to build from source, but others should work ok.

Or just wait for python 2.6/3.0 :-)