So now my bookmarks manager will not work, something I use every day and
depend on.  I suppose I will have to pull out code from the attic and put
it into my own module.  Or recreate the pathlike part of the functionality,
anyway.

I'm unclear as to whether the gnx string for a given node - that is, p.gnx
- will now be in a different format. If that has been changed, it will
break the zettelkasten code too, and destroy all the zettel and
geneological data I have collected and organized.

"Few scripts are likely to use the existing url/unl methods. It is
impossible to provide complete compatibility."  It can be done by using new
names for the new methods, etc., and leaving the old ones in place.  When
Microsoft bit the bullet and started to support Unicode strings, they
didn't change the old string methods, they added the "Wide" series of
strings and string functions.