Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Sebastian Plotz wrote:
>>> This assignes the name eth0 to the interface with the MAC address
>>> 12:34:56:78:9a:bc. The file name is important: if there would be a
>>> second file (for example 10-eth1.link) with "Name=eth1"instead of
>>> "Name=eth0" the interface would get the name eth1.

Why the duplication?  If I create a file named 10-eth1.link and it has
Name="eth0" in it, what interface name is created when the address matches?
(Wouldn't it be better to have *one* source of truth for renames like this?)

Also, does it work to match NICs by device path instead of MAC address, e.g.
because I'm in some random virtualization environment where that works, or
because I'm a server that gets new NICs when they fail?  (That works in the
setup I've put together, where the NIC alias gets dereferenced by the ifup
script, and so a NIC can have many aliases of arbitrary length.  Still haven't
gotten time to commit that to contrib/ though.  :-/ )

Also also, is there a way to make systemd *not* do the rename at all, and
simply configure whatever device happens to show up that matches the Match
section?  This is how I have the ifup patch working above (nothing on the
system cares if a NIC gets renamed from one boot to the next, because the
config is attached to something more permanent, either the MAC or path), and
it works really well to avoid the renaming.

>>> <dhcp>

Do I remember correctly that systemd's DHCP client can't send a hostname
option in the request?

If so, that's a showstopper for me.  The only process with state on which IP
addresses are handed out to clients (and which ones) is the DHCP server, so
the DHCP server is the thing that should be updating DNS, which means it needs
the hostname option to be sent in the request.

(The Windows-style "client updates DNS after it gets a lease" setup doesn't
work, because clients disappear at random when machines' power cables get
kicked, or whatever.  Only the DHCP server knows when the lease has either
expired or been released by the client.  Also when the DNS and DHCP servers
are the only things that have to communicate about changing zones, auth checks
are a lot easier: just make a symmetric key that only those two know.  Having
to set up authorization for many random client machines, especially when owned
by different people, is a lot harder.)

> The .link file was not needed because I have
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to rename the connection.

OK, that's good.  I do still think avoiding the rename if possible is a better
setup, but hey whatever.  :-)