Thanks to all who replied...

I would try again from scratch.. Now that I think about it, I did not check
the md5 sums of the 80 downloaded tar balls. Thought it would be too much
donkey labour but the key could be there.... At the stage at which I saw the
problem, my understanding was that any header files would be picked up from
the newly compiled system - not the host...

Plus, when I gave the /sbin/swapon command, I got the message that my
exisiting swap partition was busy (which it very well could be because my
system has only 700MB of RAM). Let me create an explicit swap partition this
time...

Cheers
Abhinav.

2009/12/17 Ken Moffat <zarniwhoo...@googlemail.com>

> 2009/12/17 stosss <sto...@gmail.com>:
> > If you are not experienced at doing this, when in doubt start over.
> > Under certain mistakes and/or errors it is possible to complete the
> > book and even boot the new system only to find out you messed up and
> > have to start over any way because what you have doesn't work and
> > can't be fixed. The voice of experience. After several attempts and
> > completions I did finally get it right. I am still in the very early
> > stages of the BLFS building process.
> > --
>
> That sounds rather harsh advice, but if nobody replies with
> any direct experience of an error (after, perhaps, waiting for
> 24 hours - or longer at weekends) it might be the way to go.
>
> Probably, the absence of an 8-bit type :
>
> checking for type equivalent to int8_t... configure: error: no 8-bit type
>
> is the key to this, but the matches on google are for recent
> toolchain g++ changes (the sort of thing that usually appears
> in obscure places when we venture beyond BLFS or when
> we try new toolchain software). Hmm, is $PATH set wrongly ?
> (the new stuff in /tools needs to come first).  If so, yes,
> starting again would be a good idea.
>
> ĸen
> --
> After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"
> --

It's the peoples' will, I am their leader, I must follow them. (Jim Hacker
in Yes Minister)