Thanks Chris and Simon...
Guess they're right when they say that the devil is in the details...

I haven't gone too far down the process. So I will start from scratch and be
doubly careful about what I do at each stage.

Cheers
Abhinav.

2009/12/18 Simon Geard <delga...@ihug.co.nz>

> On Thu, 2009-12-17 at 15:02 +0530, Abhinav Chaturvedi wrote:
> >     As far as I remember, I have stuck to the text. However, I did
> > create a separate build folder for Pass 2 called binutils-build2. I
> > assumed that the build folder created in Pass 1 needed to be separate
> > from that in Pass 2.
>
> If you're leaving build and source directories around once you've
> installed a package, then you've not stuck to the text. You've missed
> the following warning under "5.3 General Compilation Instructions".
>
>  Important:
>  After installing each package, delete its source and build
>  directories, unless specifically instructed otherwise. Deleting
>  the sources prevents mis-configuration when the same package is
>  reinstalled later.
>
> This may or may not be the cause of your problems, but those warnings
> are there for a reason. You have the right idea by creating separate
> build folders, but it's not necessarily enough - there's no guarantee
> that the source folder is unaffected by the first build, and so removing
> and re-extracting the source avoids the problem.
>
> Simon.
>

> --

It's the peoples' will, I am their leader, I must follow them. (Jim Hacker
in Yes Minister)