Philippe Delavalade wrote:

> > I read the man page for mke2fs and it's as clear as mud. And the LFS
> > book is completely unclear about exactly what is going on.
>
> The book suppose that you have some knowledge about linux and
> partitions
> :-)

Well I do have *some* knowledge. It's just a matter of how much. :-)

Seriously, I'm doing this in order to learn about all this stuff.

> And the man about mke2fs is not so unclear, as I can remember.

It is to me. I'll have to think a lot more about what you and Bruce have told
me, in terms of the mke2fs man page, and try to understand what I'm missing.

> > Are you saying that I have to run mke2fs for EACH of the devices
> /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2 and so forth?
>
> You'll have to do it for /dev/sda6 and for /dev/sda7 ; on sda2, I think
> you plane to install your home and that can wait ; for /dev/sda1 I
> think you can wait still the installation of the bootloader ; and
> /dev/sda5 is the swap, you'll see what to do with it at the end of your
> current section.

My plan WAS to have /dev/sda1 as the /boot partition, and the rest as whatever
fdisk forces you to have. After some experimentation and absorbing the material
in the LFS book, I hit on this:

/dev/sda1     /boot    500M
/dev/sda2     extended partition containing everything else
/dev/sda5     swap 32G (I have 16G of RAM)
/dev/sda6     /usr
/dev/sda7     /opt
and so forth, following the LFS book.

Questions:

Why would I NOT use mke2fs immediately to make filesystems on sda1, sda2 and
sda5? I want to know enough to really understand what is going on sufficiently
that I could teach it to my grandmother. :-)

Why would I wait until the installation of the bootloader? Wait for what?

> Anyway, there is certainly a swap partition on your
> host system.

Yes, but what does that have to do with the LFS system?

> > I already know (please excuse my ignorance) that running mke2fs with
> > /dev/sda completely wipes out the partitions I just made, so that's
> > obviously not supposed to be done.
>
> Rigth :-)

Ok, then: how does one get that information from the man page on mke2fs?

> > > IMHO, the /boot can wait but you'll have to take it in
> consideration
> > > later.
> >
> > I don't understand this at all. Later we mount the various
> partitions.
> > Is that what you're referring to?
>
> The /boot is not used until installing grub or lilo. Maybe, an ext2
> could be better for this little partition. For your home, if I guess
> what you want to do, I mean for sda2, maybe you can use ext4.

OK, but the LFS book clearly says that every partition will be ext3. Je ne
comprends pas.

Alan