On 11/06/12 16:35, Feuerbacher, Alan wrote:
> Bruce wrote:
>
>>> sda2 is not really a partition. It contains the extended partitions.
>>> In your case, sda5 and sda6.
>> Actually an extended partition is a partition, but it has sub-
>> partitions.  All this stuff is avoided with a GUID Partition Table
>> (GPT) which is a lot more sane in the world of large disk drives.
> Ok, Bruce, I liked what you said about a GPT, did some research on it, and
> set up a new hard disk with it. Following are some results, and I'll
> appreciate any comments.
>
> I found a very useful article here on installing a GPT:
>
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-gpt/index.html?ca=dgr-lnxw07GPT-Storagedth-lx&S_TACT=105AGY83&S_CMP=grlnxw07
>
> The article gives several choices of programs to partition a disk; I chose
> gdisk. That's fine for me because I have Fedora 17 as a host system, and it
> uses both GPT and LVM to format the filesystem.

My suggestion - and really not more than just a suggestion trying to be
helpful:

Do *not* try to play around with LVM before you understand the basics!

FIRST:
Partition the disk with fdisk (or use GPT if you so prefer), and set
aside ONE partition for all of LFS (and BLFS).
Then build LFS (and maybe some of BLFS).

THEN:
When you are 100% confident you understand what goes on, then play with
RAID, LVM, and what have you...

/Henrik