Le lundi 05 novembre à 21:11, Feuerbacher, Alan a écrit :
> Thank you all very much for your advice!
>
> Here's what I propose to do now, given your inputs:
>
> Don't put LFS on the SSD -- use a regular hard drive.
>
> Set up the partitions like this, using an ext4 filesystem:
>
> /dev/sda1   /boot                      100M
> /dev/sda2   Extended Linux partition   ~100G
> /dev/sda5   Linux swap                   2G
> /dev/sda6   /                          ~98G

This seems odd to me. Maybe I'm wrong but your swap seems too small for your
16GB of RAM and you told you have a Fedora on sdb2, so swap is certainly on
that drive (i don't know about fedora but I can't imagine there's no swap
on sdb). The boot partition is not required ; you've already a boot
partition or directory on sdb. What do you plane to put on your extended
sda2 ?

Following the lfs book, you just need one partition ; you can have a /usr
partition if you like and a var one and a tmp one, etc. It's your first
built and, maybe I'm wrong, but you'll certainly not work with lfs for
this first time, perhaps later... As to me, I built lfs many times but I
never continue whith blfs ; debian is my work system ; lfs is just to learn
and undertand more deeply a lot of things.

> Use mke2fs -t ext4 to create filesystems on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda6.

Ext4 seems inapropriate for your little boot partition. IMHO use ext2.

> I should NOT use mke2fs to create filesystems on /dev/sda2 and
> /dev/sda5. I don't fully understand why not, though. Can someone explain?

On the swap partition, you'll don't write anything ; this partition is used
by the system as a memory when your ram is unsufficient.

> Under the above scheme, the extended linux partition CONTAINS the swap
> and / logical partitions, so it seems reasonable that you would not use
> mke2fs both on it, and on the partitions it contains, right?

sda2 doesn't contain0 sda5 and sda6. You've misunderstood something (or
it's me :-) ).

> On the other
> hand, why would swap not be considered a filesystem?

See above.

> And why would you
> not make a filesystem on sda2, thereby (in my naive brain, anyway) not
> having to make a filesystem on sda6? Further, why would you not make the
> whole drive -- /dev/sda -- one filesystem?

sda is too big ; you are obliged to make a partition on it.

If you consider an usb stick, if it is a litte one, it will be on sdf (for
instance) but if it is more thant 2GB (I'm not sure for the size) it will
be on sdf1. I don't know why but it is so :-)

So your disk sda must have one partition (or more).

> Another thing is that there seem to be several notions of a
> filesystem. From
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-filesystem/
> I get this general definition:
>
> << What is a file system?
>
> I'll start with an answer to the most basic question, the definition of a
> file system. A file system is an organization of data and metadata on a
> storage device.

That's right but there's many possible organisations : fat16 (on floppies),
fat32 (with old microsoft windows), ntfs with windows xp, vista,
seven... linux use usually ext2/3/4 ; there's lot of other filesystems.

> The man page for mke2fs talks about making filesystems in disk
> partitions. So a filesystem in the general sense can contain one or more
> filesystems in the mke2fs sense, and it's not always clear to me (again, a
> newbie to this stuff) which one is being talked about. I suppose experience
> will take care of that.

I don't really understand what you mean, sorry :-)

Hope this can help but was I clear enough ?

--
Ph. Delavalade