On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 10:52:48AM +0000, lux-integ wrote:
> Greetings
>
> My machine has these
> CPU amd64,
> VGA ATI-radeon
> linux clfs/
>
> My default xorg7.7 setup has these files  in
> $XORG_PREFIX/share/X11/xorg.conf:-
>
> 10-evdev.conf
> 50-synaptics.conf and
> 50-wacom.conf
>

> I want to be able to :-
> --set a British keyboard,
> --use  a trackball/ps2-mouse/usb-mouse,
> --use the configuration on another machine with nouveau/
> nvidia VGA,
> --set different monitor resolutions.
> --use multiple monitors when I so wish

 My setup is much simpler than yours - single monitor, only using
the default resolution, and prefix /usr.  So I don't know if what I
say will help.  If nothing comes up, perhaps google will know [
these days, it seems to be more attuned to natural language searches
instead of the terse searches that used to work so well ].

> So I have prepared the following files:-
> :-
> XX-Keyboard.conf
> XY-Monitor.conf
> YY-mouse.conf
> XZ-serverLayout.conf
> yZ-screen.conf
>
> but I dont know  what numbers to assign  for the  XX  .. YZ above .   I tried
> so far :-
> 30-Keyboard.conf
> 40-Monitor.conf
> 50-mouse.conf
> 60-serverLayout.conf
> 70-screen.conf
> and in /etc/x11/xorg.conf.d  made X refused to start. X  only seems to want
> start with defaults  ( i.e. no discernable xorg.conf file and no ability to
> set monitor resolutions,  enable use of multiple monitors  etc).

 I'm not sure if your keyboard in X is set up ok, or not.  If it
isn't, this might help:

ken@ac4tv ~ $ls -l /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
total 8
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1099 Aug 25 00:55 10-evdev.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  279 Aug 25 00:57 11-keyboard.conf

ken@ac4tv ~ $cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-keyboard.conf
# Based on a posting on the xorg lists, adapted
#
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "keyboard-all"
        Driver "evdev"
        Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
        Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
        Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl_alt_bksp"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection

 From my notes last november, when I updated my xorg build to the
modern way, Arch use 10-synaptics.conf and 10-monitor.conf if needed.
Might be worth your while checking their wiki :
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

 I believe the numbering of the conf files is not usually important,
but I'm sure the Arch wiki mentioned the details.

 For a conventional mouse, 10-evdev.conf should cope with whatever
appears (e.g. if you hot-plug a USB mouse), so I doubt you need
50-mouse.conf.

 My view on what you said above is that at least one of the conf
files contains something which is wrong.  I can vaguely remember the
fun and games of moving to the new xorg.conf.d/ on my own simple
system (it was a year ago!), so I suggest that you initially
concentrate on basics - get keyboard, mouse, and default resolution
working.  Use startx for this.  If you get problems, capture stdout
and stderr - it can be hard to isolate the wheat from the chaff in
the errors [ e.g. I remember "errors" about missing drivers such as
VGA, the real problem was reported after that, hidden away in the
noise ].

 Probably biest to read the Arch wiki, and perhaps gentoo:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
first to get an overview.  Once the basics are working, try
adding whatever else you need, ideally one conf file at a time, and
again capture the error(s) and then google for it/them.

ĸen