Li, David wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to start building LFS. I have a x86_64 AMD machine. From
> what I read in the book, it seems 32 bit environment is preferred.
> So I want to confirm with the list that the followings are OK to
> start with.
>
> 1.       Install a 32 bit Fedora 16 as the build environment
>
> 2.       Leave enough unpartitioned space (100G) on the disk besides
> the FC16 install.

There really isn't any reason to prefer 32-bits or 64-bits any more.  If
you have a 64-bit system, do a 64-bit build.

I'd recommend 10-20 G for the LFS partition just for flexibility.  The
rest is for whatever you want.  I use a lot of partitions for multiple
builds.  It's useful to have a separate /home and /boot partition.  I
use a separate partition for /usr/src where all my BLFS sources reside,
but it's your distro and you make the rules for that.

Any distro can be used.  Just make sure you update it to meet the host
system requirements.

   -- Bruce