Just an update to close the thread: the hosting company has changed
their server setup to include the intermediate CA certificates in
addition to the server certificates. I can now confirm that the
certificate chain is indeed visible when connecting with lftp (in
debug mode), and certificate verification succeeds.

Thanks again for your help with this issue!

Naël