I'm not going to get into the politics or pettiness of this because
frankly, I don't care.

But this
headline<http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/147714-cryptography-super-group-creates-unbreakable-encryption-designed-for-mass-market>and
the accompanying claims of unbreakability are so incredibly egregious
that I would expect *every single person on this list* to speak out against
those (claims, that is), regardless of their feelings on the actual product.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM, Yosem Companys <compa...@stanford.edu>wrote:

> Just as a reminder, please let's all try to refrain from engaging in any
> personal attacks.  We're all build and use liberationtech to make a
> difference in various ways, and we're bound to have disagreements.  But
> let's not forget that we're all working toward the same broad goal of
> making people's lives better.  Otherwise, we would likely not be on this
> list.
>
> Best,
>
> YC
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:21 AM, Ali-Reza Anghaie <a...@packetknife.com>wrote:
>
>> Douglas, I'm not sure many people are disagreeing with the end-goals and
>> even Zimmerman acknolwedges the window for verifiable source proof is
>> closing fast (longer than many would have liked as-is).
>>
>> My comments to Nadim are coming from a tact perspective - if the goal is
>> to gain wider adoption and recognition for all the community work, good
>> projects, verified projects, etc. etc. then it helps when you play in the
>> sanboxes occupied by more than the hackers and programmers making it happen.
>>
>> It's not uncommon to have people, who need solutions the most, to be
>> afraid of projects because of the "main name" associated with them after
>> some cursory rant reading. Nadim = Cryptocat, Jacob = TOR, Theo = OpenBSD,
>> etc. etc.
>>
>> It's easy to tell everyone else to pound sand or to roll all activist
>> causes into one for the collective libtech "us" - it's not so each when we
>> take it elsewhere. Just trying to see how we can promote things that look
>> less like personal grips and trolls - and more like building something
>> useful. -Ali
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Douglas Lucas <d...@riseup.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Can Silent Circle promoters explain why Zimmerman is excused from
>>> Kerckhoffs's principle?
>>>
>>> Is it because something unverifiable is allegedly better than nothing?
>>> Even if we had divine knowledge to tell us Silent Circle is secure,
>>> isn't it an overriding problem to encourage lock-in of closed source
>>> being acceptable for something as common as text-messaging?
>>>
>>> It is good to have a scrappy talented young person such as Nadim being
>>> pesky to older, accepted people.

>>> this.
>>> our

>>> show

>>> task of
>>> perhaps an
>>> and

>>> at
>>> I'm

>>> of
>>> It
>>> standard

>>> developed
>>> receives
>>> allowed

>>> denounce
>>> corrupt

>>> transparent

>>> mentioned
>>> completely
>>> they are
> [...]

US: +1-857-891-4244 | NL: +31-657086088
site:  jilliancyork.com <http://jilliancyork.com/>* | *
twitter: @jilliancyork* *

"We must not be afraid of dreaming the seemingly impossible if we want the
seemingly impossible to become a reality" - *Vaclav Havel*