Andrés said:
> The beauty of democracy! :-)

Well, the decision is binding and must be respected.  But the issue
decided here is not the issue that was raised by Joseph Lorenzo Hall
and defined by Matt Mackall.  We can see this from the comments that
accompany the public votes.  One or two voters (such as Karl Fogel)
have recognized that the question erroneously implies a reply-to-
-poster setting in the configuration of the mailing list.  This isn't
just a technical error, it's a crucial point.  The false distinction
between replying to poster and replying to list has clearly confused
many people into thinking that the issue boils down to a question of
whether to retain the function of a mailing list at all.  The issue
raised by Joseph and Matt is quite different.  It is whether to modify
the sender's email headers against the standard practice of mailing
lists, and against the advice of technical experts, and thus to
infringe on the safety of the sender and other subscribers.

Suppose we frame this issue as a question at some point, discuss it in
a reasonable manner (subscribers here are intelligent and thoughtful),
and then vote on it.  It would be the first-ever vote on the issue.
And if that's true, then isn't it *this* freedom to raise issues, to
discuss them reasonably, and thus to inform voted decisions (and not
the binding power of decisions) that's the real beauty of democracy?

And what about the larger democracies in which many of us are
fortunate enough to be citizens?  Are we making ill-informed decisions
for lack of reasoned discussion there, too?  I'm thinking we ourselves
might be in need of some "liberation technology".

--
Michael Allan

Toronto, +1 416-699-9528
http://zelea.com/