Nadim Kobeissi <na...@nadim.cc> wrote:

> The technical aspects aside, I find the fact that they're using Aaron
> Swartz as a marketing asset to be morally problematic. :/
>
> NK

  I was originally conflicted by this as well, but... Considering he was
the architect of the project and worked on it, and his family/friends seem
to be at peace with it...  I suspect there's more to this than meets the
eye.

  What happens to our projects when we die? Will anyone really care about
them as much as we do? Will they be mired in potential controversy and left
unfinished?  There are layers and layers of things that need to be
considered when something like this happens, and as I don't know personally
know anyone involved, I'm just giving people the benefit of the doubt.

  If every investigative journalist took the time to learn PGP, Strongbox
wouldn't have much to offer.  It's *completely* possible to encrypt files
on a flash drive and mail it to a journalist (or email it using Tor and a
throwaway email).  This process is not even especially difficult under
Windows.  The problem is a lack of user education.

  I haven't taken a look at the code yet, but cobbling together a webmail
script, a remailer (even a not-especially-robust one), and the Stanford
javascript crypto library would not be a particularly arduous task.  It's
not trivial, and you'd have to be a coder, but due diligence and selecting
file hosts and all of that would be the hardest part of this entire process.

best,
Griffin

--
Technical Program Associate, Open Technology Institute
#Foucault / PGP: 0xAE792C97 / OTR: sa...@jabber.ccc.de