From: Katsiaficas, George <katsiafic...@wit.edu>

I write because my friend and enormously active Bangladeshi human
rights lawyer Adilur Rahman Khan was picked up by unmarked cars/police
and given 5 days remand in Dhaka—equivalent to 5 days torture.

His arrest will no doubt have a chilling effect on all Bangladeshi
activists. Adil is an attorney who has argued cases before the
country's supreme court. He is the leader of Bangladesh's leading
human rights organization, Odhikar, and was a great help to me in my
recent research for a book, Asia’s Unknown Uprisings, in which I
praised Bangladesh’s transition to democracy in the aftermath of the
uprising of 1990.

If you could write an email to Prime Minister Hasina and the Minister
of Information (see below), you could be of great assistance in
securing his safe release in this time of need.

I have attached a letter I wrote and faxed. Feel free to use it.

Solidarity,

George

From: odhikar <odhikar...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, August 11, 2013 3:55 AM

Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for your continuous support and working as a
pressure group to  release  Adilur  Rahman Khan.  Just now (1.40 pm)he
has been brought to the CMM court. Police do not let his family or
lawyers to go near to him . He is still inside a prison van. Last
night after picking him up at 10.20 PM,  we tried to file a General
Diary at the Gulshan Police station. But  Officer in Charge, Mr.
Pushpa,  didn't  take the GD, but confirmed that he was  taken  by DB
police.

 We are concerned that he shouldn't  be taken for remand as remand is
synonymous to torture. We came to know police is asking for 10 days
remand. Adil, in last 25 years struggled to stop torture,
extrajudicial killings, disappearance and uphold the rights of
minorities.

The Home  Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir  today stated that ' in
order to protect human rights Adilur Rahman Khan has  violated human
rights'. It's alarming that   that government is  trying to hide its
misdeed and brought a false allegation against him and  made him a
victim of human rights violation. He was picked up  by plainclothes
police men without issuing  any warrant . He was a victim of illegal
arrest and harassment.

 My friends,  please  work accordingly.
 If you would like to issue an urgent appeal,  please find the address below..

Sheikh Hasina
Honorable Prime Minister
Prime Minister's Office
Old Sangsad Bhaban
Address:  Tejgaon, Dhaka-1215, Bangladesh
E-mail: i...@pmo.gov.bd

Muhiuddin Khan Alamgir
Minister
Ministry of Home Affairs
Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh
Office, Residence & Mobile Telephone Numbers
Fax: Secretary?s Office: 9573711, PS to Minister: 7169667,
Add.Sec. (Police). 7171591, Add. Sec. ( Admin) 7171592
PS to State Minister: 9515541, D.S Admin: 7162753

Hasanul Haq Inu
Honorable Minister
Ministry of Information
Building # 4 (8th floor)
Bangladesh Secretariat, Dhaka-1000
Office Telephone No.  9540022, 9573400
E-mail:   minis...@moi.gov.bd
Ministry of Information- minis...@moi.gov.bd

Regards,
ASM Nasiruddin Elan
Director
01711405166, 01720096053
--
Liberationtech is a public list whose archives are searchable on Google.
Violations of list guidelines will get you moderated: