Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+l...@mega-nerd.com> writes:

> Compare this with a laptop. If you buy a new laptop and are sufficiently
> paranoid you can use widely available software tools to monitor all
> network connections from that laptop to the wider internet.

I don't think so -- unless you have a laptop flashed with a free
software BIOS / boot firmware that you can inspect and modify. There are
a handful of dated possibilities out there like that (Thinkpad x60
models that support coreboot, Lemote Yeelongs), but not the vast
majority of laptops. The situation with laptops actually seems pretty
analogous to the worst category of smartphones (those where the baseband
firmware shares the main CPU and RAM).

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.