Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:

>Many mobile networks operate with carrier grade NAT, so with
>MiFi your WLAN devices are already behind two layers of NAT
>or more.
>
>So far stock solution for VoIP has been SIP, but SIP is a terrible
>protocol to tunnel through NAT. So far the only contender I'm
>aware of is Jingle, anything else I'm missing?

At least with our Ostel.co service, we offer an RTP media proxy, so all of your
streams (encrypted of course) proxy through our service, removing the need for
NAT.

If you want to make plain old telephone calls through a service like
Callcentric, I think you can also find a workeable solution for the NAT issue,
but I don't have it documented exactly.

The other aspect of this setup is that you can also use something like Google
Voice (if you trust Google of course) as you SMS and voicemail system. You can
access it via the app through Orbot/Tor on Android without a problem. You can
have your Google Voice number forward to your Callcentric number for when you
are online with the Mifi device, or at any public or private hotspot.

For uses outside of the US, you can buy a phone number on a site like DIDWW in
many countries, and have that route to a SIP/VoIP account.

I know this might seem very complicated to some, but it isn't that much harder
than setting up a Skype number.

+n