On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 08:32 -0800, Niels Provos wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Richard Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Not sure I follow - I'm trying to open 1M connections from one machine
> > to another machine. Only 2 machines are involved, and i'm only concerned
> > with the client machine - the server already exists.
> > Given that part of that 4-tuple is a local ip/port pair, I assumed you'd
> > be limited to 2^16 connections from one local ip, because of the limit
> > on port numbers?
>
> Yes, but using different IP addresses should take care of that - I
> guess I am confused why your OS could not deal with that.   On which
> operating systems did you test this?
>
> Niels.

Running Debian etch.:
Linux 2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Aug 19 04:30:56 UTC 2008 x86_64
GNU/Linux

I observed it stopped creating new connections when the local port range
was used up, so assumed that local ports weren't being allocated per-ip.
Admittedly I didn't check what errors were returned. I was checking what
was going on by watching "netstat -n"

RJ