Hi Murray

> Understood, but then I'm confused as to what this option's presence
> is really telling me.  Is it saying "safe to use one connection with
> many threads" or "safe to create multiple connections per thread" or
> something else?

It states: "It's safe to use this backend in an application which
consists of different threads using at least one connection".

If odbx_get_option(ODBX_OPT_THREAD_SAFE) returns 0, you should only use
this backend in applications where each process has it's own memory
space. This is because at least one function in the native database
client reuse the same statically allocated memory at each call.

Norbert