On Tue, Jan 23, 2024 at 4:54 AM Carl Sorensen <carl.d.soren...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 8:37 PM Carl Sorensen <carl.d.soren...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 5:58 PM Jean Abou Samra <j...@abou-samra.fr>
>> wrote:

>>> pdf-copy-paste.ly
>>>

>>> Hmm. What if you run
>>>
>>> LC_ALL=C build/out/bin/lilypond input/regression/pdf-copy-paste.ly
>>>
>>> ? IIRC, tests are compiled with LC_ALL=C.
>>>

>> OK, I'll run this test.  But it looks to me (see below).like I should be
>> able to solve the problem by getting the Noto Serif JP font.  I'll look at
>> installing that font.
>>

> I installed Noto Serif JP, and added it to the fontcofig cache.  That got
> me through the previous file error.  But then I got stopped on another
> Japanese font (I suppose this might be a Linux Libertine font, but my
> fc-list command shows that I have them installed):
>
> carl@carls-mbp-2 build % cat out/lybook-testdb/1d/lily-2548dc6c.log
>
> Processing `1d/lily-2548dc6c.ly'
>
> Parsing...
>
> Renaming input to: `/Users/carl/Development/lilypond/input/regression/
> typography-demo.ly'
>
> Interpreting music...[8]
>
> Preprocessing graphical objects...
>
> Interpreting music...
>
> MIDI output to `1d/lily-2548dc6c.midi'...
>
> Finding the ideal number of pages...
>
> Fitting music on 1 page...
>
> Drawing systems...
>
> Writing header field `texidoc' to `1d/lily-2548dc6c.texidoc'...
>
> Layout output to `1d/lily-2548dc6c.eps'...ERROR: In procedure open-file:
> In procedure open-file: No such file or directory:
> "/System/Library/Fonts/??????? ProN.ttc"

I was able to successfully complete 'make test' by commenting out the
following lines in  input/regression/typography-demo.ly:

  % Font settings for Cyrillic and Hebrew

  % Linux Libertine fonts contain Cyrillic and Hebrew glyphs.

  %property-defaults.fonts.serif = "Linux Libertine O,serif"

  %property-defaults.fonts.sans = "Linux Biolinum O,sans-serif"

  %property-defaults.fonts.typewriter = "Linux Libertine Mono O,monospace"

iI appears that if Lilypond needs to search for a  font to display a
unicode character, and that font has Japanese characters in the font name,
then the font file is unable to be opened (as shown above).  There's been
some discussion between Jean and Werner indicating that it may be due to a
locale problem.  I suspect that an issue needs to be created, but I'm not
sure how to do it. And the issue may only show up on MacOS, because people
running Linux don't seem to be having this problem.

I'd welcome suggestions about how to create an issue for this, but I've got
a workaround that allows me to succeed with 'make test'.

Thanks,

Car