On Wed 27 Sep 2023 at 01:13:09 (+0200), Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> After replacing “ ... ” with “ c' ”, I got the expected MIDI output with
> LilyPond 2.24.2, i.e., lots of silence and four C notes at the end.

I did the same, and I attach a screenshot of audacious playing the
file, called mid.midi. The little white blip above the Play button
is the equaliser graph displaying the first c' at 2 min 40 sec of
playing time. (Yawn.)

I also attach a screenshot of timidity playing the same file. Notice
the length of the file: 4 seconds; and that's how long it plays for.

Cheers,
David.