On Wed 27 Sep 2023 at 10:22:04 (+0200), David Kastrup wrote:
> David Wright writes:
> > On Wed 27 Sep 2023 at 01:13:09 (+0200), Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> >> After replacing “ ... ” with “ c' ”, I got the expected MIDI output with
> >> LilyPond 2.24.2, i.e., lots of silence and four C notes at the end.
> >
> > I did the same, and I attach a screenshot of audacious playing the
> > file, called mid.midi. The little white blip above the Play button
> > is the equaliser graph displaying the first c' at 2 min 40 sec of
> > playing time. (Yawn.)
> >
> > I also attach a screenshot of timidity playing the same file. Notice
> > the length of the file: 4 seconds; and that's how long it plays for.
>
> That's all circumstantial evidence.  Nobody so far has actually attached
> the resulting MIDI file and/or the output of
>
> lilymidi --pretty
>
> on it.  That would be way more informative.

I dashed off my first reply before I dashed off to choir practice,
just to give a (correct, as it turned out) hint to the OP to try
playing the file with a different player. I didn't really look at
the code as it involved repeats, and I know they've been changed
in some way, which I haven't yet read up on.

When I got back, I saw only Jean's reply, which still didn't mention
how the file was being played, so I thought I'd give examples that
showed the contrasting behaviour between two different players.

Yes, like lilymidi --pretty, the evidence that there was silence
at the beginning of the file is circumstantial, necessitating that
the OP believed I sat through the 160 seconds of silence before
any notes were played.

BTW where is the output of lilymidi documented?

Cheers,
David.