Count me in for US$100 toward the project.  Not sure how much programming
time I can offer in addition,  but I'll certainly be more than willing to
test the XML output with Finale 2010 as I have a full copy.

FWIW,  If this is done well I think it will open LilyPond to more new users
than you would ever guess.   As a personal example, I sometimes collaborate
with a composer/arranger who uses Finale exclusively.  She composes on paper
a real piano and then uses the Finale interface to her electric piano to
enter the notes.  She readily admits that entering dynamics, articulations,
etc in Finale is time-consuming and clunky and that the LilyPond scores I
produce are indeed better looking.

If there were a reliable 2-way XML conversion between the two programs it
would not only allow me to use LilyPond when we work together but would, I
think, give her just enough enough incentive to invest the effort needed to
start using LilyPond, too.

Cheers,
Mike