On Tue, Aug 24, 2010, Alexander Sack wrote:
> assuming we have support to cross install debs on your sdcard, wouldn''t it
> be good enough for your case to keep the old deb and install that rather
> than keeping the backup on the sdcard?

 It's a valid point; also, the kernel changes ABI so frequently that
 you'd probably have a couple of ABIs as backup kernels.

 BTW: installing a linux-image works fine in a qemu-backed chroot; I do
 that all the time.  The one catch is that if one has the system
 configured to run flash-kernel, that will break.  But for images I
 create myself, I usually qemu-debootstrap + install a linux-image.deb
 and that works fine.  It would work equally well on an installed
 system, but one has to remember to disable the flash-kernel step before
 installing a new kernel .deb.

--
Loïc Minier