On Wed, Aug 25, 2010, Dave Martin wrote:
> Also, does anyone know why U-Boot always prints "loading legacy image"
> when loading images created with mkimage?  Kinda suggests the U-Boot
> folks think this image format has been superseded by _something_ but I
> never figured out why.

 From a quick look at U-Boot, it defaults to IMAGE_FORMAT_LEGACY if
 there is the U-Boot image magic number, else if U-Boot is built with
 FDT (DeviceTree) support, it uses IMAGE_FORMAT_FIT.  In any other case,
 the image is considered invalid (IMAGE_FORMAT_INVALID).

 I found this old submission of bootz to boot zImages:
 http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2003-June/001589.html

 The patches had many issues (I for one would have been unhappy about
 having a new bootz command, but perhaps I'm missing the reason why
 bootm can't be used).

--
Loïc Minier