I'm not speaking IBM as a corporation, just expressing my own observations.

As IBM supplies the great bulk of its S/390 modifications as source
patches, including CKD dasd, I don't see OCO for OSA cards as a Linux
issue, per se, nor an "open source" issue.

Rather, QDIO is a hardware feature, for which IBM does not publish the
programming interface. The interface is unique to IBM S/390. And it is used
by more OS's than just Linux. Publishing the interface for Linux also
publishes the interface for all other OS.

In this aspect, I would tend to think that the IBM Linux supporters and
developers are bound by issues outside of Linux when OCO code is
distributed.

Remember, the ONLY Linux kernel OCO code IBM supplies, to my knowlede, is
for OSA cards!

Until such time as the OSA card interface is public domain, I guess we're
stuck.

Regards, Jim
Linux S/390-zSeries Support, SEEL, IBM Silicon Valley Labs
t/l 543-4021, 408-463-4021, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
** Grace Happens **