From: Phil Payne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 5:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: reasons why management don't want linux

> The distribution itself is not particularly expensive.  The bundled
support
> that SuSE requires to purchase the software is $11,000 (US) per
engine for
> the 31-bit and $14,000 per engine for 64-bit systems.

The problem is - for those making strategic decisions - is not the
$11k today but the fact that what was effectively free yesterday and
costs $11k today might well cost $22k tomorrow.  A _LOT_ of people out
there like IBM and its products but just want to get the Software
Division monkey off their backs.  Operating system migrations cost
money - there has to be a reason for the investment.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.com