Exactly. I have been able to "Test Drive" Suse 7.0 and present it as a test bed
to see if Linux/390 is something we want to do. If I have to pay 4,500 % of my
budget ($0) to evaluate a system we are not even sure that we want to follow
through on it will never happen.

There is indeed a market share for Linux on Intel but there remains a major
sales job to get Linux into the glass house alongside OS/390, VM and TPF. When
I present a Demo it needs to BE the system we would run, not a case of " It
would run exactly like this on the mainframe but I am using a different
platform as the demo".

Please Suse -- Find a way to allow access to the GA distro so we can show the
functioning system. Support contracts will only follow a successful acceptance
by management.

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002 14:03:56 +0100, Michael Megson wrote:

>Except the situation you're positing never existed.  Support for SuSE (or
>Turbolinux or Red Hat) was _never_ free.  People seem to keep confusing the
>cost of the distribution with the cost of the support, and they are very
>much separate items.  The cost of support is actually less expensive now
>than it was before (if I remember my conversations with Jens correctly).
>
>The only _real_ difference between now and before is that you don't have a
>choice of support or not if you want to use SuSE's Linux/390, and there's no
>way to "test drive" the distribution before deciding to buy or not.

Jerry Whitteridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice (925) 944 4184
FAX   (925) 944 4204

"WorldSecure Server <safeway.com>" made the following
 annotations on 01/22/02 12:31:33
Warning:
All e-mail sent to this address will be received by the Safeway corporate e-mail
system, and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.
This e-mail may contain information proprietary to Safeway and is intended only for
the use of the intended recipient(s).  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient(s), you are notified that you have received this message in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately.