> Then we started to load Oracle tables and started to get a few I/O
errors.

Could you post the actual errors? I can't read the IO subsystem error
messages but there are others on this list who can.

> My question is, has anyone else seen this and is there an explanation?

The Compatible Disk Layout has a z/OS compatable volume label and VTOC on
each volume, and each Linux partition on that volume appears as a
sequestial dataset to z/OS. It's sorta like how the USS HFS datasets looks
to z/OS. You can allocate up to 3 linux partitions on each volume, and use
your z/OS backup solution to keep everything safe. When you dasdfmt a
volume to CDL, you then have to use fdasd to create a partition[s] on that
volume.

The Linux Disk Layout is older than the Compatible Disk Layout. It is the
original Linux on s/390 volume layout, and is not compatible with z/OS. It
only supports one partition per volume.

I dont know why you would get error messages from the CDL formatted disks
and not the LDL. Did you use a flashcopy or similar function to make copies
of a formatted, empty disk onto several devices for the LVM?

You also have to shut down your Linux system before you back it up using
z/OS tools. If you back up a running system, the restored version will not
come up cleanly; the filesystems will be marked as in use and dirty and
will have to be fsck'ed before they are mounted. Even then, there is no
gurantee they are complete and consistant. You have to shut down the Linux
system to get it to flush its buffers to the real disk, even unmounting the
dasd wont do it. (at least that's the way it was as of January; I'm sure
I'll be corrected if otherwise...)

One idea is to shutdown the linux system, take snapshots of the disks, then
bring the linux system back up. You can then back up the snapshots at the
system's leisure.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the list Kevin. :)

Jay Brenneman