DNS entries worked fine for me, once I got the inetd.conf syntax worked out,
my VSE machines (which have DNS entries, not host entries) worked fine.

All of the inetd.conf entries explicitly use the syntax:

service : address

with spaces around the colon characters.  So I had to specify:

in.rexecd : 172.

So that local machines could use the rexec daemon.

--
Rich Smrcina
Sytek Services, Inc.

Catch the WAVV!  Stay for Requirements and the Free for All!
Update your S/390 skills in 4 days for a very reasonable price.
WAVV 2003 in Winston-Salem, NC.
April 25-29, 2003
For details see http://www.wavv.org