I am faced with the unenviable situation of a definite M$ bias. Our network
folks will not let me set up Samba as a master ANYTHING. I am not sure what
to tell the network folk in order to have my samba definition on Linux
participate in the local windows arena.

The machine's DNS name is 'rockhopper' but I am not certain what workgroup
to tell them and I am not finding anywhere in the SMB.CONF to specify what
domain (even if that's needed) to be in.

This was their last response to me -  Basically they're not sure either.
Can this live in a Windows NT network domain as a member server?  LAN
Services would probably not allow it to act as a domain controller within
one of its domains without psychotically intensive testing.

Since Windows NT uses NetBIOS as an APPC protocol, I'm guessing that your
machine would need it to be part of a domain.  Maybe not.  Dunnofersure.

As far as the DNS name is concerned, I think that we would need to add it
to a WINS database unless users would access it through a TCP/IP client
software package instead of their Windows Explorer.  Dunnofersure on that,
either.

Chris

If anyone has been down this road before, please let me know.

-J