James,

In that case, a Samba server can be its own island.  The drawback is that
you have to maintain two sets of passwords on the Samba server - one in
/etc/passwd with the UNIX hash and one in smbpasswd with the MS (triple
DES) hash.  Use the smb.conf parm "encrypt passwords = yes" (unless you
want to turn off password encryption on the clients which is not
recommended) and use "smbpasswd -a user" when adding new users to the
smbpasswd file (or you can also use SWAT).

> As far as the DNS name is concerned, I think that we would need to add it
> to a WINS database unless users would access it through a TCP/IP client
> software package instead of their Windows Explorer.
No, it does not have to be added to a WINS database.  The users can get to
it through Windows Explorer->Tools->Map Network drive ->
\\rockhopper.dns.domain\sharename, or even a DOS screen with "net use *
\\rockhopper.dns.domain\sharename".  If the user name and passwords are in
synch with those used to log on to the desktop, they will not even be
prompted for credentials. This syntax assumes Windows NT/2000/XP clients.
If there are any 9x/ME clients then DNS or dotted decimal server names
cannot be used and there are a couple of alternatives to mapping the
NetBIOS name to the IP@.

Hope this helps.

          -Mike MacIsaac,  IBM   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (845) 433-7061

James Melin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@VM.MARIST.EDU> on 06/27/2002
10:33:37 AM

Please respond to Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by:    Linux on 390 Port <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:
Subject:    [LINUX-390] Integrating Samba in a windows network

I am faced with the unenviable situation of a definite M$ bias. Our network
folks will not let me set up Samba as a master ANYTHING. I am not sure what
to tell the network folk in order to have my samba definition on Linux
participate in the local windows arena.

The machine's DNS name is 'rockhopper' but I am not certain what workgroup
to tell them and I am not finding anywhere in the SMB.CONF to specify what
domain (even if that's needed) to be in.

This was their last response to me -  Basically they're not sure either.
Can this live in a Windows NT network domain as a member server?  LAN
Services would probably not allow it to act as a domain controller within
one of its domains without psychotically intensive testing.

Since Windows NT uses NetBIOS as an APPC protocol, I'm guessing that your
machine would need it to be part of a domain.  Maybe not.  Dunnofersure.

As far as the DNS name is concerned, I think that we would need to add it
to a WINS database unless users would access it through a TCP/IP client
software package instead of their Windows Explorer.  Dunnofersure on that,
either.

Chris

If anyone has been down this road before, please let me know.

 -J