I don't have the faintest idea why IBM claims that you have to have an
identical DASD layout on all machines that share an NSS.

Admittedly cursory testing seems to show that your NSS will have
whatever parameter line you burned into it, which does specify a range
of devices.  But not only can those devices change size (I tested this
with an ext3 and a swap filesystem), if you boot without a listed
device, the only problem you will have that I could find was that you
may trip over it in /etc/fstab.

But if you have a disk that's not in /etc/fstab, which you detach before
IPL, you can re-link and then access that disk pefectly normally from
Linux (using the console or hcp to perform the link).

So it's looking to *me* like you should pick a lowest-common-denominator
disk layout (for most of our guests, that'd be / on 150, swap on VDISK
on 151, and /usr on 152), build the NSS with as small a storage size as
you can (24M works for us) and then not worry about it.

If anyone can tell me why I'm wrong, and that, although I have mounted
differently-sized disks, I'm heading for fatal filesystem corruption
just around the corner, I'd appreciate it.

Adam