On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, David Boyes wrote:
> Much as I dislike Solaris, their diskless workstation filesystem layout
> is a pretty good model for this. We should use that as a model for
> ideas.

They also demonstrated the first shared /usr implementation.
They also do something I call  "folding"  (for lack of terminology)
of /bin and /lib into /usr which works nicely for Linux  (with care).
There is a lot we can learn from Sun.

But speaking of all this config and NSS and booting,
I'm going to say it again:  we need the STM trick in the kernel start.
Sometime AFTER the stop at 0x010000

                STM 0,15,VMPARM

then shortly later read from sacred 64-byte area VMPARM in the
regular parm processing.   (the VMPARM chunk is guaranteed to be EBCDIC,
translate to ASCII,  override that which the bootstrap loaded
(that is,  the parm *file*))

It is positively insane that we do not have this support already.
Some examples:

                # adjust your DASD addresses from default
                hcp ipl linux dasd=400-40f

                # select a different root from the default
                hcp ipl linux root=/dev/dasdc1

                # prep to load a DCSS maybe
                hcp def stor 512M
                ipl linux mem=256M

While non-VM Linux cannot use this,
it is no harm to have the support in there.