> You would need at least one non-root/swap address mounted
> as /config or
> > something for storing the configuration of what goes where,
> and you'd
> > have to move at least a few of the utilities (eg mount,
> ifconfig, etc)
> > from /usr to /sbin (generating statically linked versions)
> and include
> > /sbin in the root filesystem.
>
> What distribution are you using which places these utilities
> in /usr?

Sorry, finger check. I date back far enough that everything was in or
near /usr... thanks. Meant to say "from their default location".

> Also, they
> should not need to be statically linked, as they should only
> be linked with
> libraries in /lib.

This I would argue about. Why should I need /lib and dynamic library
support at a point where the system is still initializing? What if I
want to mount /lib from another disk? If I have the absolutely critical
utilities available in a statically linked version, I need only a root
file system containing the critical static binaries and a kernel and
minimal configuration info.