> DEB (Legatus Tux) will remember this ...
> In a previous lifetime,  I learned the value of I18N.
> The good doctor had our student employees coding up  'XMITMSG'
> in REXX EXECs on the CMS systems.   I hated it!   Oh the pain,
> oh the convoluted work,  just to effect an echo.   [sigh]
> But I learned.

Funny you should mention this -- I found a few of our old EXECs from the
Workshop tapes at a site in mainland China. They translated the message
repository into DBCS Mandarin, and *everything* worked properly. Not a
single logic change -- not one. We built better than we knew..8-). I
tell ya, though -- seing RICSTP666E in Mandarin was a really *bizarre*
experience.

(Easter egg time: if you happen to have the old Rice SETPRINT EXEC, do a
SETPRINT FORM 666 and try to print something. You'll be amused at the
response...8-))

XMITMSG was way ahead of it's time, especially when the VAR option was
added (which deposited the edited message in a REXX stem). Good Stuff.

> So what do we do?
> Write a local  'xmitmsg'  layer on top of GETTEXT?
> Is there some other tool to use?
> Thoughts?

There are some tools in the locale packages that allow message
substitution, but, as you say, they're pretty crude.

If someone felt like implementing a XMITMSG clone, that might be useful.

-- db