Werner,

I'm glad I was able to help you find your storage problem.  I remember when sonmeone
showed me the "du" command about a year and a half ago how useful it was to me.

As far as LVM is concerned, there are others on this list who are more qualified to
speak about LVM than I am.  I'm sure this question has been answered in this list
before.  You might check the list archives at
http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?linux-vm and do a search (at the bottom of the
page) on LVM.  Be patient.  The search can take a while.

Having said that, I do seem to recall that someone posted the fact that even the boot
disk can be on a logical volume.  Probably any mount point can be on a logical volume.

Here at Boeing, we use LVM volumes mostly for user data, /home for example, or for
Oracle databases, so that we can use more than one physical volume for a mount point.
We also keep the Oracle code in logical volumes so we can have more than one mount
point on a minidisk.  For our general purpose (non-Oracle, non-WebSphere) linux
systems, we create the following minidisks:

        292     mounted as / (boot disk)
        293     V-disk for swap
        294     mounted shared read-only as /usr
        295     mounted as /home

For boot purposes, Linux needs to have (at least) access to /boot, /bin, /sbin and
/etc on the boot disk until it is up far enough to mount other filesystems. It may
also need /var or /tmp.  It definitely does not need /usr, /opt or /home unless you've
done something really radical to change your system.

One more thing.  I wouldn't get too enamored of LVM just yet.  I was in a meeting
yesterday and one of the Unix gurus we work with on Linux/390 (and who is usually
pretty knowlegeable about these things) mentioned that LVM is going to be sunsetted.
It is rumored that Sistina will not be enhancing it beyond the 2.4 kernel, only
providing basic maintenance.  This same person said that Linus won't be putting LVM
into 2.6 when it comes out.  LVM will apparently be replaced by something similar but
more capable from IBM, and that this new filesystem is already in the 2.4.17 kernel.
There was an IBM rep there at the meeting and he seemed to know about this change as
well.   We've put all our expansion of LVM on hold until we find out if this rumor is
true and (if so) what the replacement is and how you work with it.

Perhaps others on the list can expand on this rumor and tell me if I'm just blowing
smoke and spreading FUD.

They say there are three signs of stress in your life.  You eat too much junk food,
you drive too fast and you veg out in front of the TV.  Who are they kidding?  That
sounds like a perfect day to me!
Gordon Wolfe, Ph.D. (425)865-5940
VM & Linux Servers and Storage, The Boeing Company