Wolfe,
thanks for your reply. The du command was a great help in finding the culprit.
There were two files in /tmp from the installation of a DB2 fixpack which used
up a lot of space. Now we are at 40% and 870MB.
However, I'd still like to know which directories can be moved to LVM managed
space (only those which will not be accessed until LVM initialization). Is this
usual to have parts of root fs in LVM space? In my opinion /var, /usr and /tmp
would be good candidates, wouldn't they?
Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just starting with Linux.

Werner