I had a quick look at the swat source, and it looks like whoever has write access to
smb.conf, has access to full functionality.  If he has read access, he has browse
functionality.

The code uses getpwnam() to get a password entry for the user, so it SHOULD go through
the normal nsswitch process.  The system root account (or equivalent) and password
SHOULD work. It specifically
checks for UID 0.