The Samba folks generally don't recommend running SMBD from inetd.  There's more
overhead if you have more than a couple of clients, since (IIRC) this will start a
separate instance for each
connection.  When it runs standalone, it runs a thread per connection.

If you installed an RPM, there should have been startup scripts installed in
/etc/init.d for smb and winbindd.  The smb script starts both smbd and nmbd.

If you're building from scratch, there are sample scripts for the major distros in
subdirectories under "packaging".  They might requre some massaging to work correctly.