Thanks!  I was beginning to feel like I was losing my mind.  I thought
it would be much easier to customize SLES 8 given that at least
this time, I have a little more current Linux knowledge.

2 more things have me stumped:
- How can I allow root to logon at the console only (and I'd still
  like to be able to su from an ssh putty session)
    /etc/securetty didn't work
    /etc/ssh/sshd_conf    PermitRootLogin NO didn't work either (worked
            too well, couldn't su or login).

- Is it safe to modify /etc/powertweak/tweaks and put the
    hz_timer = 0    in it??   If not, where do I put this???

Gordon wrote:
>I'm working on the same think Marcy is.  there are LOTS of things that =
>don't exist in SLES8 that used to in SLES7.  Where did they go?  =
>/etc/rc.config is a good place to start.  I see that some of the stuff =
>has moved to /etc/sysconfig, but not all.  Where did it go?  Where's the
>documentation?

Marcy Cortes
Wells Fargo Services Co