"fsck.ext2: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/VG01/homelv
"

Long term solution - get off of ext2 as soon as possible and move to ext3
(redhat's preference) or reiser (SuSE's preference). When I converted my
packs to one or the other, this problem virtually disappeared, even in our
lab environment where systems are crashed for the fun of it.

ext2 has no obligation to keep the meta data current and no log to check if
its damaged. If a large, I/O intensive system crashes, you data loss can be
big time with ext2. Also, under 64bit, an idle system with a large memory
(5 or 6 GB) can have the same problem - who have thunk that the root meta
data wouldn't be written out in a couple of days, so one of our testers
reset the machine. Reult: ext2 damage to root and unable to IPL.

Also, during IPL, the fsck is sufficiently slower than reiser or ext3 that
it can extend the bring up time of a lot of Linux images when your system
starts.

Regards, Jim
Linux S/390-zSeries Support, SEEL, IBM Silicon Valley Labs
t/l 543-4021, 408-463-4021, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
*** Grace Happens ***