True, but it is GPL so it might be possible to use
it as a base for a VM/{IA,AMD,PPC} whatever.

                    Chris Cox
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    comm.com>             cc:
                    Sent by: Linux        Subject:     Re: XEN. Interesting, following
the VMWARE thread
                    on 390 Port
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    ARIST.EDU>

                    10/02/2003
                    01:02 PM
                    Please respond
                    to Linux on 390
                    Port

Peter Webb, Toronto Transit Commission wrote:
> Although the page is a little hard to understand, I think the 'ported' OS
is
> the one that runs XEN. The guest operating systems would appear to be
fairly
> standard, although it appears that special device drivers would be
required.

Hmm.. I would say the OP got the interpretation correctly.  Xen runs
specially ported versions of various OS's.  Will Xen do what "we want it
to do" someday?  Not sure.  Their tight ties with Microsoft will make a
true VMware replacement nearly impossible (Microsoft just won't allow it).