I haven't tested zLinux<->z/OS, but a few months ago I did some testing with
zLinux<->zLinux hipersockets and GBe with both ftp and NFS. I tried various z990
chpids:

CHP     Frame   MTU
FA      16KB    8KB
FB      24KB    16KB
FC      40KB    32KB
FD      64KB    64KB

These tests were done during a time of close to zero other activity with the
hipersocket subnets and the GBe subnets. Unfortunately, most of the results are gone,
but I was not very impressed with either GBe or hipersockets.

I tried many tests with different hipersocket chpids and found that the best
hipersocket ftp performance was with Frame/MTU size of 16/8 and 24/16 of about 16
MB/sec. The best GBe time was about 10 MB/sec. I tried files with different block
sizes (1K, 2K, 4K, 8K, 16K, 32K, 64K) and for both GBe and hipersockets, in general
larger block sizes helped, but the difference wasn't significant. Tests with chpids FC
and FD were dismally bad..not even 1MB/sec. Perhaps it was a config error on my part.

I did some tests with NFS and the results were even more depressing. These simple
tests involved doing a 'cp -fr' from 6GB of various sized files in a source file
system on local disk to a target NFS mounted file system. With GBe, I never got better
than 3 MB/sec. With hipersockets, I never got better than 5 MB/sec. Unlike the ftp
tests, there were no significant performance differences between the different
hipersocket chpids.

In our production GBe network, the GBe performance numbers are way worse..more like 4
MB/sec for ftp and 2 MB/sec for NFS. We don't have major hipersocket network activity,
so I don't know how the hipersocket numbers would change under load. We do not yet use
hipersockets in production.

Although hipersockets improved things in my tests, I was hoping for a much more
dramatic improvement. I would be very interested in any sites that report really good
performance with either GBe or hipersockets and what their configuration looks like.

..thanks