On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 18:06, David Boyes wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 09:17:10AM -0400, Bob wrote:
> > What is the easiest way to setup the Linux guests so that when VM
> > shutsdown, the Linux guests under VM all shutdown cleanly also?
>
> Use the SYSVINIT code I announced. That's
> exactly the kind of thing it's intended to do.
> It already has a set of default behavior, and handles the dependencies
> (eg, TCPIP won't shut down until all the Linux guests are down,
> handles waiting for differing intervals if you know one or two machins
> take longer than others, etc, etc.)

However, if your guests don't do CP SIGNAL SHUTDOWN correctly, you will
need to modify the per-guest-copy-of-SVM EXEC to use CP SEND to send
commands to the console.  Use "Diagrc(08,'SEND 'guest message)" rather
than "'CP SEND 'guest message" because Linux is case-sensitive.

Also, of course, bug your vendor to implement SIGNAL SHUTDOWN
correctly.  On a distribution where the kernel does support SIGNAL
SHUTDOWN (like Debian) the stock SVM EXEC does the right thing out of
the box.

Adam